Best Beauty & Skincare Tips
It doesn’t take a trip to Sephora to know that beauty and skincare are huge industries. The number of products and tools available in specialty stores, department stores, drug stores, and even grocery stores, is astounding.
And then there’s all the information. One beauty blogger swears by one mascara, and another says that that mascara was the worst she’s ever tried. One website insists that such-and-such expensive treatment will clear up your skin in no time, and another says it’s a waste of money.
Need we go on? The whole “best beauty and skincare tips” thing is overwhelming and overcrowded. There are contradictory information and conflicting opinions. Before you know it, you’ve spent half your salary on buying anything and everything that promises to give you the look you want, because something is bound to work…right?
We feel your pain. And we want to do something about it.
We’ve distilled the best beauty and skincare tips, hacks, and tools into a list of 10. That’s right— just 10 things to remember that could help you simplify your daily routine and make it more effective than ever.
It wasn’t easy, but we did it, for you (that’s what friends are for!). Here’s the best of the best when it comes to best beauty and skincare tips.
- Cleanse. Want healthy-looking, clear-looking, balanced skin? Then you’ve gotta keep it clean! Cleansing is a no-brainer addition to our top 10.
Ideally, you wash your face twice a day: in the morning and at night. Use a gentle, no-soap cleanser that will remove traces of dirt, oil, and makeup from your skin. We would recommend a gentle cleanser, like Plexus Joyome Cleanser, that is targeted for all skin types.
- Moisturize. Moisturized skin almost always looks brighter, smoother, and more youthful. Not only that but moisturized skin will feel better to you as well (that is, it won’t be tight or itchy). As such, keeping your skin moisturized is easily one of the best things you can do for it.
You want a product that will not only add moisture to your skin but will also keep it there. And you want a product that can really get under your skin, so to speak, to provide deep, lasting moisture. If you read on, we may or may not have a product that is perfect for keeping skin moisturized and beautiful (spoiler alert: we do).
- Wear sunscreen. We’re pretty sure that if dermatologists could write their own version of the Ten Commandments, the first five would be: “Thou shalt wear sunscreen—always.” Sunscreen is one of those things that we hear about all the time, and yet, somehow, it’s easy to forget.
The sun emits UVA and UVB rays that are very damaging to the skin. Exposure to these rays can lead to a whole host of problems, not the least of which are wrinkles, age spots, leathery skin, and of course, sunburn.
To avoid these problems, find a sunscreen that explicitly states that it blocks both types of rays (often stated as “broad-spectrum protection”), and has an SPF of at least 30.1
P.S. Yes, you should wear sunscreen on rainy days, cloudy days, winter days, summer days—basically, all the days.
- Eat right. You are what you eat, and your skin doesn’t get a pass on that. Although it’s true that your diet is one small piece of the larger skin care puzzle, the foods you eat determine the nutrients your body is getting, which can affect various skin-related processes in the body, like cell turnover.2
The foods that are best for your skin may differ from the foods that affect someone else’s skin, so try to be aware of how the foods you eat affect the look and feel of your skin. There are some foods, however, that are generally considered to be beneficial to the skin. These include healthy fats (like those in avocado or fatty fish), nuts, seeds, broccoli, and tomatoes.3 Actually, we wrote a blog on that too: 15 anti-aging foods for your skin, but back to our hacks….
- Drink water. Drinking water is good for your health in general. The cells in your body are made up mostly of water,4 so insufficient water in your skin cells could make them look unhealthy. Dry skin cells are also less elastic, making them more prone to wrinkling.5 In a way, drinking water goes hand in hand with moisturizing, as it hydrates your skin from the inside out.
- Get good sleep. As if you needed another reason to get plenty of zzz’s. The amount of sleep you get can have a significant impact on the appearance of your skin. For example, since your skin produces collagen while you sleep (and maintaining collagen is key to keeping wrinkles at bay), getting five hours of sleep a night could lead to twice as many wrinkles as getting seven hours of sleep a night.6 How’s that for beauty sleep?
In addition to collagen production, sleep also affects blood flow to your face (leading to a lifeless complexion if you don’t get enough rest), and swelling around the eyes (which is why your eyes are puffier if you didn’t get a good night’s sleep). Not getting enough sleep could also impact how well your skin recovers from environmental factors, like sun exposure.7
- Gut and Skin Microbiome. You may already know that your gut is home to billions of microbes that effect overall health and wellbeing, but did you know that your skin is home to its very own microbiome as well? Just as your gut microbiome is vital to your overall health (mood, weight and immune system—to name a few) your skin microbiome plays a vital role in the appearance of your skin. Keeping your skin’s good and bad microbes in balance can help protect your skin from damaging environmental factors, while also working to keep skin moisturized, youthful-looking, and radiant.
So, what can you do to improve your gut and skin microbiomes? One big step is to start focusing on probiotics and prebiotics. Probiotics—beneficial bacteria—are needed to keep the gut and skin in a positive, balanced state. Prebiotics—food for the beneficial bacteria—are needed to keep the gut and skin microbiome thriving.
Whether you’ve never thought about gut health before, or you’ve been making your own kefir for years, introducing prebiotic and probiotic supplements and foods into your diet could be the change that unlocks a happier, healthier you. If you are in the market for a fabulous pre/probiotic duo… Plexus VitalBiomeTM checks all the boxes – and then some – when it comes to giving your gut the probiotics it needs and Plexus Slim® Microbiome Activating is the perfect prebiotic partner in crime.
Finding effective microbiome balancing skincare can sometimes feel like a harder task – just like finding that perfect shade of red lipstick— we know it is difficult but believe us when we say it’s not impossible! And we’re here to help.
Plexus has developed an effortless, two-step system that reverses the appearance of visible signs of aging, Joyōme® Essentials Combo. This incredible system combines clinically-studied levels of 11 anti-aging ingredients, a HydraLipid Delivery System designed to increase the speed the product is absorbed into your skin, and yep, you guessed it, a patent-pending Microbiome Balancing Complex that protects from age-accelerating environmental aggressors while helping good microbes flourish. This is a revolutionary system that results in nourished, protected skin that’s beautifully balanced, naturally healthy-looking, and visibly radiant. But more on Joyōme later….
- Jade roller. We’ve only recently discovered this handy little skin care tool, but it has quickly become a fast favorite. Jade rolling has been around for hundreds of years but has gained popularity in the mainstream beauty world over the last year or so. Having learned about some of the benefits of jade rolling, we can totally see why.
Jade rollers, at the most basic level, give your face a nice, soothing massage. That may not sound like much but considering the benefits of such a massage are brightening, enhances circulation, and calming the skin, we’re all for it.
The smooth surface of the roller, plus the ultra-gentle pressure it creates, makes it a preferable alternative to using your hands. Make it even cleaner; a high-quality roller with a polished, non-porous surface won’t harbor bacteria, unlike low-end alternatives. Plus, many people believe that the jade (or in some cases, rose quartz) in the roller has benefits of its own, including restorative properties.8
Whatever you believe about jade rolling, it’s a simple, no-downtime alternative to much more invasive treatments, so we’re calling it a must-have for your beauty routine. Ready to roll? Here’s how:
First, apply Joyōme Illuminating Day or Intensive Overnight Repair serums to the face, using your fingertips.
Start at the chin and roll horizontally out to the hairline. The pressure should be light and comfortable on the skin
Move up to the nose and roll from the corner of the nose, out toward the ears.
Use the small end of the jade roller and place it in the inner corner of the eye. Roll out toward the temples.
Roll from the eyebrows upward to the hairline, moving across the forehead.
Finish by rolling the middle of the forehead horizontally out toward the temples.
- Satin/silk pillowcase. Another perhaps unexpected tool on our list is a satin or silk pillowcase. While they may not be miracle workers, the smoothness of these fabrics is much easier on your skin than, say, cotton.
In fact, cotton pillowcases are more absorbent, and can actually draw moisture out of your skin (making some of those fancy products you put on your face go to waste, we might add). As less absorbent materials, satin and silk won’t cause this problem.
Satin and silk pillowcases lead to significantly less friction on the skin (and hair). Your skin gets to glide along the surface of the pillow without creasing and causing those pressure wrinkles.
Changing up your pillowcase is a simple way to add a little something extra to your beauty and skincare routine. You’re welcome.
- Joyōme. Joyōme is quite possibly our most favorite item on this list, for more reasons than one. First of all, Joyōme works. Period. With 11 key ingredients, Joyōme addresses the most common visible signs of aging, like the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, dullness, dryness, dark circles, uneven texture, and more.
Also, Joyōme is beautifully, remarkably, simple. Just two products do the work of dozens of others. The Illuminating Day Serum visibly reduces the appearance of expression lines and pores, plumps and hydrates the skin, improves the appearance of skin firmness and elasticity, and enhances brightness and radiance. The Intensive Overnight Repair produces visibly tighter-looking skin, reduces the appearance of deep lines, resurfaces the skin, and reduces the appearance of age spots. And both products deliver lush moisture to quench thirsty skin.
Joyōme is also scientifically advanced, utilizing a patented HydraLipid Delivery System to enhance the absorption of key ingredients.
And, as we talked about before, Joyōme’s patent-pending Microbiome Balancing Complex takes a revolutionary approach to your skincare routine by using your skin’s own natural beneficial microbes to help achieve visible and beautiful results.
Finally, Joyōme is formulated with a Consciously Clean promise. It’s free from over 1,400 questionable ingredients and does not include GMOs, BHA, Parabens, Phthalates, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, and others on our Absolutely Not List.
The result: two beautifully simple products that result in beautiful looking skin. What’s not to love?
Best Beauty & Skincare Tips
Health and beauty products are everywhere, and they’re not going away any time soon. But instead of getting swept up in the hype, stick to these 10 best beauty and skincare tips and products that will keep your skin happy, beautiful, and healthy-looking for years to come.