Cutting Calories The Right Way
Dieting usually means one thing to most of us – cutting calories. But what you’re cutting makes a huge difference. Often, protein inadvertently winds up on the hit list in an effort to hit a specific daily calorie intake. But protein is what you want to keep when dieting. Not only does it feed your muscles, helping you to sustain and promote lean body mass, but it helps you feel fuller, meaning you’re less likely to overeat. In a recent study conducted by Purdue University, scientists discovered that adding protein when dieting helped to promote weight loss. The message – if you’re looking to cut calories, be selective in what you’re reducing. Two areas to limit are simple carbs and saturated fat. That means less white bread, white rice and sugar and less animal protein.
Here’s four tips to make sure your diet is setup for optimal health and long-term success.
- Choose foods high in fiber. Not only does fiber make you feel full, it has numerous health benefits. Fiber intake that meets or exceeds the RDA of 25g for women and 38g for men is being studied for its effects in living a healthier and longer life. Foods high in fiber include split peas, raspberries, quinoa and oatmeal.
- Bolster your protein with Plexus Lean™. Lean delivers fiber to help you work towards your daily requirement. Having a shake with berries and your favorite nut butter is a great way to amp up your daily protein intake, while getting tons of antioxidants and healthy fats. For a plant based version, go for Plexus Lean Vegan.
- Check your breakfast. Studies show that cereal is the most common breakfast food, which tends to be high in sugar and very low in protein. For a high-fiber, protein-rich, heart-healthy breakfast, grab some oatmeal with fruit and then make your drink a Plexus Lean shake.
- Take a probiotic. Studies show that imbalances in the gut microbiome can affect weight, body mass index and fat mass. Grab Plexus TriPlex™, three products to help get your gut back in balance. ProBio 5 delivers 2 billion CFU per capsule at time of manufacture, helping to support a healthy intestinal track; Bio Cleanse helps remove unwanted microbes and substances and supports your body’s natural cleansing processes; and Slim increases beneficial bacteria Lactobacillus by up to 365 times and Bifidobacterium by up to 290 times, with the added bonus of helping you lose weight.◊
- Take up strength training. If the first thing that comes to mind is a gym full of free weights, relax. Strength training comes in all forms. Weightlifting is one type of strength training, but so is power yoga, Pilates and good old bodyweight exercises. Not only will it build muscle (which burns more calories than fat), but it supports bone health. Don’t forget to add in another Plexus Lean shake to your day to make sure you’re getting enough protein – strength training ups your protein needs. And remember, always consult a physician before you start a new exercise program.
◊The results of an in vitro human gut simulator study suggest that Slim’s formula may have several beneficial effects. Further research, including research conducted in humans, is needed to confirm these preliminary findings.